Policies of the ATHEA Board of Directors
Members of the ATHEA Board of Directors are elected from the membership of the association and serve 3-year terms. The Board of Directors lead the organisation in accordance with the bylaws of the association.
The Association is a nonprofit organization and promotes the following activities:
- The promotion of education and continuing education for adults, as well as life-long learning in the area of higher education.
- To provide educational accreditation and quality assurance to its member institutions, comprised of degree/diploma granting post-secondary educational institutions offering higher education and located inside or outside the European area, including, but not limited to, the countries who are signatories of the Bologna Protocols.
- To serve as an accrediting agency that is included on the European Quality Assurance Register for Higher Education. As such the organization will conduct voluntary, non-governmental peer review and make decisions concerning the accreditation or pre-accreditation status of member institutions, programs, or both.
- To promote quality assurance and improvement through voluntary accreditation via peer evaluation, and instill public confidence in its institutional members’ missions, goals, performance, and resources through its rigorous accreditation standards and their enforcement.
The Board of Directors manages the Association. It is the "management body" as defined by the Law of Associations 2002 (Vereinsgesetzes 2002). It is assigned all tasks, which are not assigned to another body of the Association. The following tasks are specifically assigned to it:
- Create an accounting system for the Association to record, as a minimum, its income/expenses and assets.
- Create a budget, the annual report, and the annual statement of accounts.
- Prepare and call the General Assembly in cases of § 9 sect. 1 und sect. 2 lit. a – c of this charter.
- Inform the members about the activities of the Association, the financial status, and the audited annual report.
- Administrate the assets of the Association.
- Accept and dismiss full and affiliate members.
- Hire and dismiss the Executive Director.
Posted to this page are the ATHEA Board of Directors' policies concerning the governance, structure, and operations of the organisation.
ATHEA Charter - English
The ATHEA Charter that was filed in Vienna, Austria to establish the association (English Version).
ATHEA Charter - German
The ATHEA Charter that was filed in Vienna, Austria to establish the association (German Version).